Ages: 6–8 yrs. old / 9+ yrs. old
This class level is differentiated by age. This is a beginner level class for boys. All Olympic apparatus is used for this level with an emphasis on proper progression and development of skills leading to a solid foundation in gymnastics. Skills which will be taught during the Novice Boys class include but are not limited to:
- FLOOR EXERCISE - Forward and backward rolls (tuck, straddle and pike), prone fall, lunges, handstands, good and bad side cartwheels, fly backs, bridges.
- POMMEL HORSE - support, scissor swings, single leg cuts, travel downs, travel across.
- RINGS - chin-up hold, straight arm support, inverted hangs, tuck and L position hang, basic swings, skin the cats, tuck and straddle fly away dismounts.
- VAULT - correct running technique with hurdle onto the spring board, squat on, pike on to the horse, dive roll and handstand flat fall onto stacked mats.
- PARALLEL BARS - tuck support, getting up to the bar properly, tuck and L-Holds, straddle travel, upper arm swings, straight arm swings, rear flank dismounts.
- HIGH BAR - chin up hold, pull over, straight arm support, casts, back hip circle, under swing dismount, swing with proper re-grasp.